Monday, April 9, 2007

Are we serving international students to the best of our ability?

What appeared on the CNN website today was an extreme case, but it also begs the question: are universities doing enough to serve international students?
A University of Massachusetts student, Nikhil Dhar, 24, feared he would be deported back to India because he was struggling and failing out of school. This situation swelled to Dhar stabbing a science professor in the neck because she gave him a failing grade.

Police said they found a note in Dhar's pocket, which read: "I'm sorry I'm having to do this. But I have no options left... I have nothing to lose."

I am certainly not suggesting that what Dhar did was justified, but it does make me wonder (and I hope the university wonder) what brought him to such desperation.

I mean, international students often pay double the tuition than their non-international counterparts. That's a lot of pressure. Moreover, most international students are studying in a language that is not their mother-tongue. Furthermore, many international students come from a school system that operates differently than ours in the western world. Many come here with a dream for a better future than their native country offers and perhaps a dream to alleviate their family's struggles. That's certainly more pressure that I have had to face in my post-secondary experience.

I also wonder if the professor did everything she could to help this student and/or tell him where he could improve. I wonder what services the university offered for international students. Furthermore, I think universities need to give higher priority to international students as they are a huge contributor to the fiscal sustainability of their institution.

I got the story from this site: http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/04/09/professor.stabbed.ap/index.html although I think CNN could have done a better job at representing the whole story.

No comments: